Sunday, March 8, 2009

Recession Review: Sea Ridge 2006 Syrah



The Winery: Sea Ridge Coastal Winery
The Wine: 2006 Syrah
The Price: $4.79 at Safeway

Searidge is a Napa Valley, California winery. They do not appear to have a website, so I really don't have any information to impart about the winery.

The bottle was sealed with a natural cork, which is a pleasant surprise in a sub-$5 bottle of wine. I decanted the wine about an hour before sampling it.

The wine is appropriately dark red in color. It has aromas of black cherry and plum.

This wine is surprisingly good! It has a very pleasant cherry and blackberry flavor. It is a fruit-forward Syrah, with a very subtle pepper finish. It's refreshing to find an enjoyable Syrah for the price of a latte! Buy this one! This is one Recession Review wine that I wouldn't be embarrassed to pour for guests.

6 comments:

The Wine Whore said...

I'll have to give this one a try!
You just can't beat that price.

Anonymous said...

I have been buying this at Vons for the past six months. It is very good! Can't beat the price. The Sea Ridge Syrah & Zinfadel (both 2006)are my favorites. The Merlot is ok. My friend liked the Cab- but I still prefer BV Cab.

Great table wine- would serve at group/family BBQs and/or dinners with pride!

Brian On Wine said...

Thanks, BeJohn. It's great to hear someone else agree with me. Thanks for reading.

Brian

Unknown said...

i asked a friend who's a chavalier du tastevin for a good cheap wine. he suggested sea ridge syrah and so far is what i buy for table wine. randalls in houston sells it for 3.65 cents per bottle plus 10% off if u buy 6

Anonymous said...

I also discovered this winery at Safeway - bottom shelf and inexpensive. I purchased the Cabernet Sauvignon on whim - the labeling seemed to emit a quality message without hype.

The Sea Ridge Coastal Winery 2007 Cab is an absolute sleeper! This is actually a rather complex and elegant Cabernet Svgn with an honest bold body, just the right amount of dryness and finishes very smoothly. Highly recommend from here and the price is an unbeatable value in my opinion.

Bolinas12

Anonymous said...

Safeway is currently selling all Sea Ridge wine for $2.98. Theses wines —Zinn and Merlot I've tasted so far — aren't good wines for the price they are ridiculously great wines for the price.

The wine glut continues with no end in sight.

Cheers!