Sunday, March 1, 2009

Recession Review: Meridian 2005 Merlot


The Winery: Meridian Vineyards
The Wine: 2005 Merlot
The Price: $6.99 at QFC (on sale - regularly $12.99)

When I saw the significant markdown on this wine, I nearly rejected it as a recession review. But I ultimately decided that it fits my Recession Review rules. Part of the spirit of the recession review series is to find good wines at bargain prices.

I decanted this wine 50 minutes before the review. The wine bottle was stopped with natural cork.

The wine is very dark ruby in color. Very little light is transmitted through the wine. In other words, it is a typical Merlot.

The wine has berry aromas to it, along with a hint of yogurt.

The wine is a fairly unremarkable low-end Merlot. It has flavors of cherry, berry and cinnamon with a harsh pepper finish. It has a pronounced alcohol flavor.

At $12.99 I would be pretty disappointed with this wine. At $6.99 it's just OK. I'd rather get a $4.99 Chilean Merlot.

On whole, this wine greatly under delivers. I was excited to find a $12.99 wine nearly half-off.

No comments: