Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Francis Ford Coppola 2007 Pinot Noir

The Winery: Francis Ford Coppola
The Wine: 2007 Pinot Noir
The Price: $17.98 at Safeway (marked down from $21.99)

I'm trying to not let two prejudices cloud my objectivity on this wine. First, I've had very few good Pinot Noirs that were less than $20/bottle. And second, I had a bottle of Francis Ford Coppola Claret a few years back, and I recall not liking it a whole lot. But nevertheless, I shall review this wine with the same open mind with which I review all wine.

This bottle was sealed with a natural cork. The grapes are from California's Monterey County, which seems to be where the bulk of the California Pinot Noir that I run across comes from.

This is a dark ruby colored Pinot Noir. It has aromas of raspberries and plums with a very subtle smokey aroma.

The wine has a tart cherry flavor to it that mellows to a smooth berry finish. It's far better than I would expect for a $20 mass produced Pinot Noir. I'm happily impressed. This would be a good wine for those nights that you're in the mood for a Pinot Noir, but don't want to drop $40+. Or to serve to that date that you're not quite sure which direction things are going. Save the really GOOD wine for the dates with whom you think you have a future.

2 comments:

The Wine Whore said...

LOL, I love the idea of rating wine by the quality of the date by which I would choose to drink it.

Brian On Wine said...

The only problem with this approach is that now if I ever serve this one to a date, she'll know that I'm not all that into her. Unless I decant the wine before she arrives. Hmmmm.