Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Marq Vineyards 2006 Pinot Noir


The Winery: Marq Vineyards
The Wine: 2006 Pinot Noir
The Price: $18.99 at Albertson's (marked down from $20.99)

Marq Vineyards is a Monterey County (California) winery. Their website is just one page, and really doesn't give any information about the winery. Too bad...I find that sort of information to be interesting and useful.

I decanted the wine a hair over an hour before tasting it. The bottle was sealed with a natural cork.

The wine is appropriately deep red in color. It has good clarity and there was no notable sediment in the bottle.

The wine has aromas of berries, oak and a alcohol/sauerkraut combination.

Awful does not begin to describe this wine. It's downright gawd-awful, nasty, puke-inducing vileness in a bottle. I'd sooner wring the sweat out of my gym clothes into my wine glass than to suffer through another glass of this bile in a bottle. Yuck!

If my warnings have not deterred you, I suppose I should talk about what little taste there is to the wine. It does a seem to have a bit of a fruity flavor that is hiding deeply behind the over-pronounced peppery/alcohol flavor. And that sauerkraut aroma makes an unwelcome appearance in the flavor. Blech. No amount of aging will fix this wine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh gross! Possibly a bad batch?

Brian On Wine said...

Could be. It's pretty horrible stuff. I'm not going to drop another $20 to give them another shot, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Oh Brian- I am so sorry but we have all been there.... I read your post about Sea Ridge... It's a shame to drop $20 for awful when you have had good for $2!