Saturday, January 31, 2009

Recession Review: Chariot 2006 Gypsy


The Winery: Chariot Wines
The Wine: 2006 Gypsy
The Price: $5.99 at Trader Joe's

This is the first of my Recession Reviews. As I previously stated, the bar for these wines is lower than for my normal reviews.

Chariot Wines is a winery who apparently has long-neglected their website. It looks like they once intended to open an online store, but abandoned that idea. The most recent wine listed on their web page is a 2003 Pinot Grigio.

The bottle gives no indication as to what grapes this wine is made from. I'm assuming it's a blend of some sort.

The wine has an actual natural cork. At this price I usually expect either a synthetic cork or screw-top.

The wine is deep red in color. It has predominantly a cherry aroma to it. This is not a bad wine at all. It has cherry and blackberry flavors with a pronounced pepper finish. The wine is sweeter than most reds that I've sampled, but the sweetness counteracts the pepper flavor. Decanting and letting the wine breathe for about an hour greatly diminished the pepper flavor and really allowed the flavor of the wine to open up. This may be the best sub-$10 wine I've ever had.

1 comment:

Brian On Wine said...

Update - The website has been updated (slightly) and now includes Gypsy on the website.