Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lo Duca Lambrusco Reggiano


The Winery: Lo Duca
The Wine: Lambrusco Reggiano
The Price: $11.99 at Casa e Cucina Francesca

I bought this wine on a recent antiquing trip through Snohomish. I wasn't in the market for wine on this particular trip, but having purchased no antiques, and having been warmly greeted and Casa e Cucina Francesca I couldn't resist. The owner was very friendly and had a very good knowledge of Italian wines. I selected two, this one and a white wine that I will be reviewing soon.

This particular wine is fizzy. Apparently fizzy wine is very common in Italy, particularly from the smaller, local wineries. The Italian term for this is frizzante. Not to be confused with "bubbly" wine like Champagne, this wine is fizzy.

There is no vintage listed anywhere on the bottle. I guess one year is as good as the next.

In the glass, this wine looks like a Merlot or Syrah. The wine is deep red, and as it sits in the glass a ring of fine bubbles collects around the glass.

The wine has aromas of berries, cherries and sweet grass.

The wine is sweeter than most reds. It has flavors of sweet cherry and berry jam. The fizz adds a fun touch to the wine.

If you have any taste at all for sweet-ish wines, I highly recommend giving this a try!

3 comments:

JC said...

Great wine!

Anonymous said...

The White Lambrusco is even tastier!

Brian On Wine said...

I've never seen a White Lambrusco. I'd love to hear some recommendations and sources in the Seattle area (or mail order).