Sunday, November 30, 2008

Shop Review: The Wine Seller

I took a little jaunt across Puget Sound to Port Townsend over the long weekend. Among other things, I visited The Wine Seller. Given that Port Townsend is part tourist destination and part artist colony (okay - they have the very cool wooden boat school, a thriving boat industry, and host the annual Wooden Boat Festival each summer), I really expected to find a snobby, pretentious, over-priced wine shop. I was pleasantly surprised to the contrary. The wine shop is very well stocked with wines of all price ranges (I think I did see something in the $1200 price range). I walked away with five bottles of wine and a Vacu Vin Rapid Wine Cooler for a grand total of $88. Look for reviews of the wines and the cooler in upcoming weeks.

The gentleman working at the store was very attentive to all of the customers despite the fact that he was working alone and that there were about seven people in the store at the time.

The store was reasonably well laid out, but there were a few shelves that seemed to be a mishmash of seemingly unrelated wines. They also has some Reidel stemware that looked like it hadn't been dusted in months (to be fair, it was the top shelf that looked neglected, and at 6'6" that kind of thing jumps out at me where nobody else would likely notice it).

If you're in Port Townsend, I recommend paying them a visit.

No comments: