Monday, November 3, 2008

Gaetano D'Aquino 2004 Chianti Riserva


The Winery: Gaetano D'Aquino
The Winery: 2004 Chianti Riserva
The Price: $5.99 at Trader Joe's

I've been reviewing mostly wines from the U.S. lately, so it's high time for an Italian wine.

Chianti is not a wine I normally drink at home. I often drink it when I'm out for Italian food - particularly when I'm out someplace like Buca Di Beppo.

This Chianti is dark ruby in color. The wine has scents of blackberry and prunes.

The wine primarily has a cherry flavor with a subtle berry undertone and a slight peppery bite on the finish.

This is a true bargain wine. At $5.99 for a bottle, you can't go wrong. I'll definitely be buying more of this. The wine compares quite favorably with wines costing 2-3 times as much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed this one. I had the '03 but it didn't do the trick for me. I much prefer the Tommolo Montepulciano d' Abruzzo or the Aglianico. Have you had either of those? If not I recommend giving them a try. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Jason

Unknown said...

I really enjoy this Chianti. When I was in Firenze, Italia, they actually served this at one of the trattoria's where I dined. When I came back to the U.S. , I was amazed to see this in Trader Joe's for $5.99 a bottle. You just can't beat it for the price. I would definitely recommend buying this.