Sunday, April 27, 2008

Metrokane Velvet Champagne Sealer

My Metrokane Rabbit corkscrew came packaged with a few tools - a wax-seal tool (which I've never used), a foil cutter (which I use regularly), a drip catcher (again, never used - I spin the bottle as I finish the pour so drips are not a problem for me). Then there's the Velvet Champagne Sealer. I never would have purchased this tool, but since it was included with the Rabbit, I figured it was worth trying out. The sealer consists of a cylinder-shaped body with a cap that twists. Inside the cylinder is a pliable rubber stopper that is compressed when the cap is twisted, causing the rubber stopper to expand in diameter. This creates a very tight seal, thus keeping the carbonation in the bottle. I've now used the sealer twice. Once for a bottle of Champagne, and now that I'm temporarily on the wagon, for a bottle of Izze sparkling juice. The Champagne held beautifully for three days, with very little degradation. I just finished storing a half bottle of Izze for a eight days with the Champagne Sealer. When I removed the sealer, there was a whooshing sound, just like when the original bottle cap was removed. While the juice was a tad flatter than when first opened, it retained approximately 85% of the original carbonation. For the few bucks that this tool costs, it is well worth it for storing Champagne for a day or two. I probably wouldn't risk a high-dollar bottle of Champagne for longer than a week, but if you have a partial bottle, this tool is just the thing to give you a couple of days to get around to finishing it.

1 comment:

J. said...

As the one that drank the Izze soda, I concur that it held 85% of its fizz. Nice review.
JC