Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rabbit Corkscrew

I finally broke down and bought one. A Rabbit Corkscrew. This is the best bottle opener I've every used. I first used one at a friend's house a couple of years ago. I've been drooling over them ever since. There are several companies out there that have copied the idea, but I went with the original.

This thing opens a bottle of wine in seconds, with very little effort. If you're not familiar with the Rabbit, here's the scoop. The Rabbit has two handles that clamp together around the neck of the wine bottle. There is also a lever on top of the corkscrew that drives the screw (which they call a worm) into the cork. So to use it, you clamp the handles around the neck of the bottle, then push the lever down to drive the screw into the cork. Finally, lift the handle to extract the cork. To remove the cork from the corkscrew, simply clamp the handles around the cork, and lift the lever to unscrew the worm from the cork. It's a breeze!

The downside is the cost. The Rabbit website says that the retail price is $50. I picked mine up in a kit which also includes a foil cutter and a few other tools for $40.

No comments: