Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Va Piano 2006 Syrah


The Winery: Va Piano Vineyards
The Wine: 2006 Syrah
The Price: $40 at Jack Cellars

Va Piano is a Washington winery located in Walla Walla, a town made famous by Daffy Duck (how many other reviewers would mention Daffy Duck in a review, I ask you?). The vineyards were planted in 1999, so they are a relative newcomer to the game.

The bottle was stopped with a natural cork, topped with a dollop of wax. A very classy presentation. I decanted the wine an hour before reviewing it.

The wine has aromas of plum, blackberry and...wait for it...bacon. Now, ever since I got my Wine Aroma Wheel I have been wanting to find a wine where I could use bacon. This one definitely has it, but it is very subtle.

This is an exceptionally good wine. It is easily the best Syrah I've ever had. It has a very well developed flavor, primarily of blackberry and plum with a warm finish (and there is even a hint of the bacon in the flavor).

This is a truly awesome Syrah. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Misty said...

Sounds good!!

Carly, The Wine Princess of Washington said...

I need to get one of those wheels... and can't wait to try a wine with bacon mentioned in it. :)