Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Erath 2006 Pinot Noir


The Winery: Erath
The Wine: 2006 Pinot Noir
The Price: $16.99 on sale at QFC (Regular price $22.99)

Erath has been around for over 35 years. I always knew them at Knudsen Erath, an name I have a hard time letting go of. I don't know what precipitated the name change, and the very brief internet search didn't yield any insight.

Erath has switched from natural cork to synthetic cork to screw tops. On their website they claim that the screw top is the best method for ensuring the quality of wine is retained over the years. But I'm a traditionalist (I sometimes write with a fountain pen, I often wear cufflinks, and I open doors for women), so I have a hard time dealing with the switch to screw tops. Perhaps one day I'll research the subject and post my findings here. I'll even try to keep an open mind.

In the glass this wine looks fairly light in color. The legs are also not terribly well developed.

The wine has scents of prunes and cherries with just a hint of a smokey smell.

This wine tastes pretty thin. The flavors are not well developed, and lacks the full velvety flavor that I've come to expect from Northwest Pinot Noirs. No single flavor really jumps out. There are hints of berries or cherries and a slight carmel flavor. It has a bit of a pepper bite at the finish. All in all, I'm not a fan of this wine. It's not a very good example of a Northwest Pinot Noir, especially in the $20 price range.

No comments: