Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Seattle Metropolitan Sept 2008 Top 100 Northwest Wines

The September edition of Seattle Metropolitan Magazine has an article identifying what it considers to be the top 100 Northwest Wines. I have not yet had time to read the article in full, but I do have two complaints about the article. First, there are not any Sokol Blosser wines on the list. Second, they do include Quilceda Creek Cab-Sauv. This wine is simply not available to most people. They have a waiting list to sign up for the privilege of buying their wine. When a wine is so unavailable, how can they even be counted on a list of the Top 100 Northwest Wines? I suppose I am just being too pedestrian and narrow minded. The focus of BrianOnWine has been on wines that are relatively affordable and available, so seeing Seattle Metropolitan's list including wine that I cannot get (I've tried) rubs me the wrong way.

After I've read the article in it's entirety, I may post a more in-depth review of the article.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the shout out to Sokol Blosser Winery. I haven't read the full article yet either, but I hope to today. Perhaps you should list your top 100 NW wines... we'd be honored to be on your list!

Hope you keep enjoying the Sokol Blosser wines. Cheers!

Kitri McGuire
Marketing Communications Manager
Sokol Blosser Winery

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian,

I am also someone who does not know (professionally) a lot about wine, but like you appreciate a good glass. I have read the Seattle Met article and also feel that several of the wines are unattainable and extremely overpriced for everyday drinking. It bothers me that apparently only high priced wines are good (according to Conde' Cox and Jay Miller). The bulk of the wines they recommended were $35 and over, which for a nice night is fine, but for everyday drinking is ridiculous! I wish they recommended more of the $20 and under bottles for people like us who drink a glass most nights and don't make $100K a year.

Anonymous said...

Certainly there is not always a correlation between price and quality, but if there are expensive wines out there they should be some of the best. In defense of the authors, if they were to write about the best 100 wines in a certain price range it would have been a different article.

Anonymous said...

The article does include a list of bargain wines under $25.