Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Syncline 2006 Syrah


The Winery: Syncline
The Wine: 2006 Syrah
The Price: $24.99 at Seattle Cellars

This is another wine from Syncline that has the glass stopper. I really like these stoppers a lot. I hope they catch on. They are a great alternative to twist-tops and fake corks. They don't require a corkscrew to open, and they seem kind of classy. Besides that, you can toss them in the recycling bin when you're done. I did a little bit of digging, and found some information on them. They are called Vino-Lok Stoppers, and are made by Alcoa in Germany. The gasket that seals between the bottle and the Vino-Lok Stopper is a product of DuPont called Elvax.

The 2006 Syncline Syrah is a deep, dark red wine. It has scents of blackberry, chocolate and black pepper. The wine has flavors of coffee, blackberry and pepper, with a chocolatey undertone. This wine has a lot of black pepper flavor to it, but it's not harsh. It just makes its presence known. The flavor of the wine is a bit chaotic, but in a good way. There are a lot of flavors going on, and my tongue is on overload trying to discern them. That said, this is a very good wine. It may not be for everyone. Given the complexity of the wine, I would like to see what it tastes like once it has aged for a few years.

2 comments:

J. said...

You missed an n here: "makes its presence know." (Just the editor in me that won't go away.)

Given that I'm not into the peppery thing, I doubt I'd like this particular one, but that glass cork is just totally cool.

Brian On Wine said...

I fixed it. Thanks!