Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mike Ditka 2005 Chardonay


The Winery: Mike Ditka Wines (produced by Mendocino Wine Company)
The Wine: 2005 Chardonnay
The Price: Available online for $17.99

This is the last of the Mike Ditka Wines that I have to review. I've been putting off this particular wine because, frankly, I'm not a big fan of Chardonnay. I'm much more of a red wine drinker, and when I do have white it's usually a sweeter wine and I have to really be in the right mood for it. Usually when I have Chardonnay it's either at a wine tasting at a winery, or at a dinner where it happens to be what the host(ess) has selected. I never have Chardonnay in my personal collection. That said, I am reviewing this wine based on the merits of the wine, and trying to be open minded to a varietal that is not one of my favorites.

This wine has a much more pleasant aroma than I've experienced with other Chardonnays. It has an apple aroma, with a hint of melon.

The wine is actually quite good, which is a tremendous compliment given that I usually don't care for Chardonnays. The wine has a crisp apply flavor with subdued melon, vanilla, and floral flavors. The wine has a very bright taste, with a very slight tang to it. Most of the Chardonnays I have sampled have kind of a heavy taste to them that I didn't care for. This wine isn't like that. This is a Chardonnay that I could actually see myself buying and serving to guests. I'd probably pair it with fish or cheese and crackers. I may have to reconsider Chardonnays. I am highly impressed.

I have greatly enjoyed the Mike Ditka wines, and reviewing them has been a lot of fun. I know that early on I scoffed, and thought that they may just be nothing more than a novelty. I was dead wrong. The Mike Ditka wines have far surpassed my expectations. I hope that they catch on and work their way to the mainstream. I am very pleased that Mike Ditka put his name on a quality wine. The wines may be a bit more than the average football fan is used to paying, but they are very much worth the asking price. I will be buying a few bottles for my collection.

No comments: