Sunday, March 16, 2008

Truth Wines 2005 Lindsey's Cuvee

The Winery: Truth Wines
The Wine: 2005 Lindsey's Cuvee
The Price: $17.95 at my local wine shop

I'm not able to find all that much information on this winery. What I have been able to dig up is that it was made by Axios Wines. Their website does not have information about their wines, nor does it appear to be very often updated (their latest addition to the press page was in 2006). Being a software geek, I find myself skeptical of any company that does not have a decent web presence. I would expect these guys to have a web site for Truth Wines, and for the URL to be printed on the label.

The wine bottle has a black and white drawing that is an adaptation of M.C. Escher's Hand With Globe, but instead of a globe, the bottle has a wine glass reflecting the man holding the glass.

The wine has a very strong, alcohol smell to it, with a subtle fruit scent blended in.

The wine has a strong berry and prune flavor to it, with a mildly peppery finish. I am also detecting a cinnamon flavor with a hint of vanilla. The wine initially has a dry, chalky mouth feel which seems to dissipate with each sip. I did not care for the wine after the first sip, but several sips into it, I like it quite a lot.

If you can manage to find this wine, and you don't mind paying $17.95, I recommend giving this one a taste.

And if anyone has any further information on the winery, I'd love to learn more about them.

6 comments:

Just Plane Jayne said...

Hmmmm, I thought this was an interesting one too. Still trying to find out more information about it online, like what the heck is in the blend?

Anonymous said...

The blend varied each vintage but it has syrah, malbec, cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, petite verdot, petite sirah and merlot.

Anonymous said...

Just yesterday I purchased a bottle at one of the better local restaurants. $40 (which is not too bad of a mark-up, all things considered). Wife and I enjoyed it with dinner. Thought it was a nice wine from the low end of their list. I hate paying $100 a bottle at a restauramt for wine that I have better in the basement at $25 or so. Is it just me, or are wine mark-ups disturbing to all?
John in Annapolis, MD.

Brian On Wine said...

I've always felt that the mark up in restaurants was excessive, too. But as long as people are willing to pay it, they will continue to charge it.

Anonymous said...

I think it is the same people that make Worthy. A great blend of top end grapes...Truth is good...not as good as Worthy by any means but very tasty and certainly something to have as a Red option for any meal or social event.
Joe

Anonymous said...

Yes, Truth is the baby wine of Worthy. Truth is about 50/50 cab and syrah while the Worthy is 78% cab, 21% Merlot and 1% Petit Verdot. Not available everywhere, but great wine for the price. Especially the Worthy. Axios' goal when they created Worthy was to make an affortable Napa Blend that was superior quality to the wines in the pricing tier. They buy up the grapes that Axios, Dalle Valle and Viader don't use and blend them together to create worthy.