Friday, March 5, 2010

The Other Guys 2008 Hey Mambo Sultry Red

The Winery:  The Other Guys
The Wine:  2008 Hey Mambo Sultry Red
The Price:  $10.99 at Safeway (marked down from $15.49).

I don't normally do this, but I purchased the wine for this review based on the label.  I know, I'm a sucker.  But I liked the simplicity of the label and the fun spirit that it embodies.

I like the attitude that the winery displays on both their website and their bottle.  They seem like a fun-loving and spirited group.  The kind of people I could see hanging out with.

The wine is a blend of Syrah, Barbera, Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Malbec, and Alicante Bouchet grapes.  The bottle was stopped with a natural cork, and decanted 30 minutes before tasting.

The wine is a deep ruby color.  It has aromas of cherry, blackberry and tobacco.  It has flavors of cherry and cranberry with a pepper finish.  It's a very good, very fun wine.  I'd definitely recommend giving this one a try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There are a few wines I've wanted to try just because of the label! Happy to know someone that knows wine actually does this sometimes.

Hiram Toadflax said...

This is a fun wine. Had it at Fireworks Restaurant in Brattleboro, Vt. Came home and bought a case. I like the label, the attitde, the review and it pairs so well with Irtalian foods.