Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Columbia Crest 2007 Horse Heaven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon

The Winery:  Columbia Crest
The Wine:  2007 Horse Heaven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon
The Price: $11.69 at Safeway (marked down from $16.49)

This wine is the second that I've reviewed from Columbia Crest's Horse Heaven Hills (H3) line.  In addition to the Cabernet Sauvignon, they make Chardonnay, which I have reviewed, and a Merlot, which I have not.  Columbia Crest has been growing grapes in Horse Heaven Hills for over 20 years.  Horse Heaven Hills was officially recognized as an AVA in 2005.  

This wine is a blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc.  The bottle was stopped with a natural cork, and decanted an hour prior to tasting.

The wine is a very deep purple in color.  It has aromas of blackberry and cherry.  The wine has a pronounced berry flavor with just a bit of a spicy bite.  It's a very velvety smooth wine.  I highly recommend giving this one a try.  It's well worth the price.    

2 comments:

cory said...

How come I didn't get any of this one?

Brian On Wine said...

Because I needed to sample it first before I could subject you to it. Now that I know it's good, I can serve it to you with confidence!