Sunday, November 22, 2009

La Marca Prosseco


The Winery:  La Marca
The Wine:  Prosseco
The Price:  $13.99 (marked down from $19.99)

As the holidays approach, I thought I would take time to review a few sparkling wines.  This is partly selfish - I like to serve sparkling white wine throughout the holiday season, so this is a great opportunity for me to sample some wines before serving them to others. 

La Marca is an Italian winery, thus it is a sparkling white, not a Champagne. The Prosseco wines are named for the grapes from which they are made.  They are generally less complex than Champagne.

The wine is a very pale straw color.  It has steady streams of bubbles bursting forth, creating a thin layer of froth on the surface of the wine.

The wine has aromas of apples, pears and peaches.  It has a very crisp apple flavor with a peach undertone.  It has a bit of a creamy feel to it.  It's a good wine, but not a great one. 

While I like this wine, and it is interesting, this one won't see my table this holiday season.  For the price of one bottle, I could pick up two bottles of more enjoyable local sparkling white wine. 

No comments: