Monday, July 27, 2009

Sokol Blosser Evolution Lucky Edition


The Winery: Sokol Blosser
The Wine: Evolution, Lucky Edition
The Price: $14.99 at QFC (marked down from $21.99)

I previously reviewed Evolution (11th Edition), but a couple of bottlings have occurred since that review, so I thought I'd review it again. I'd been kicking around the idea for awhile, and now that Seattle (and the rest of the Pacific Northwest) is entrenched in a heat wave, it seems like the perfect time.

From talking with an employee of another winery, I learned that some wineries chemically manipulate some of their wines so that it tastes the same from year to year. Based on my observations, Sokol Blosser does not do this (my observations are supported by this statement from their website, "Every new bottling has its own subtle and fresh personality."). I point this out because the Lucky Edition is the best edition I recall them having produced.

The wine is a blend of Muller-Thurgau, White Riesling, Semillon, Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer, Muscat Canelli, Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc and Sylvaner. That's a lot of grapes!

The Lucky Edition seems brighter and a hair sweeter than I recall the 12th Edition being. It has a citrusy aroma. The wine has flavors of citrus fruit, apples and pears.

In addition to the great flavor, I love the playful nature with which Sokol Blosser treats this wine. The label poses the question, "Luck? Intention?" And this year, rather than calling it the 13th Edition, they went with Lucky Edition. I like that.

As I write this, I am sitting on my balcony, looking out over Lake Washington. It's 92 degrees, highly unusual for Seattle. The view, the weather, and the Evolution make me realize what a great life I have.

2 comments:

The Wine Whore said...

Very cool review!

Wish I was enjoying the same view!

Cheers!

Kitri McGuire said...

Thank you for the wonderful and fun review of Sokol Blosser's Evolution, Lucky Edition. It sounds like the situation in which you enjoyed the wine is exactly why we make it! Refreshing, unpretentious, enjoyable now.

Thanks again for your support - we appreciate it.

Cheers,

Kitri McGuire
Marketing Communications Manager
Sokol Blosser Winery