Sunday, June 28, 2009

Recession Review: Gazela Vinho Verde


The Winery: Gazela
The Wine: Vinho Verde
The Price: $5.99 at QFC.

Gazela is a Portuguese winery. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any information on the winery.

I was able to dig up a little of information on the Vinho Verde varietal. These wines are made in Northern Portugal, in the Minho region. The term Vinho Verde literally means green wine.

The wine is was capped with a screw top. Opening the wine, I was surprised to hear the tell-tale whoosh of a sparkling wine. It's a very, very light carbonation. Had I read up on Vinho Verde before opening the bottle, I would have known that that is typical of the varietal.

The wine is an extremely pale straw color, very nearly clear. It has aromas of honey and pineapple.

It's a very bland wine. The flavor is almost nonexistent. It has a slight pineapple flavor, with a hint of pear. I don't dislike it, but it really lacks flavor and the bubbles are so few as to be nearly absent. It's almost like taking a box of cheap wine and cutting it with sparkling water.

3 comments:

emptynestnotreally said...

Cute bottle though

The Wine Whore said...

Very strange! I like the bottle but the Wine sounds iffy! :)

Cheers!

Unknown said...

On the mineral and floral . Flintstone, citrus, green apple. Acid, very refreshing wine. I like this better than some bad champagne. For the price, it is very recommendable. Should mate well with oysters, and raw seafood. Very refreshing and not too heavy.