Monday, January 21, 2008

Sokol Blosser Evolution, 11th Edition

The Winery: Sokol Blosser
The Wine: Evolution, 11th Edition
The Price: On sale for $14.99 at QFC. Regular price is $19.99

This is just a fun wine. The wine is a blend of 9 grapes: Muller-Thurgau, White Riesling, Semillon, Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer, Muscat Canelli, Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc and Sylvaner. The result is a nice, crisp, bright wine. The wine is a very pale yellow color. This is one of my very favorite summer-time wines. It is perfect for sitting on the porch swing on a hot August evening. The wine has flavors of pear and apple. It is a fine balance between dry and sweet. As much as I love Sokol Blosser (and my regular readers know that I'm a huge fan), I have a hard time spending $20.00 on this wine. When I can find it for $15, I stock up. But, with as good as this wine is, I have a hard time spending $20 on it. Granted, this is probably more of a problem with Washington State import taxes than is is with Sokol Blosser's pricing. They sell it on their website for $16, which, as I recall, is also what they charge at their tasting room.

The bottom line is that this is a very good wine. I like it a lot and enjoy it several times each year.

2 comments:

J. said...

Hello. Could you explain where the wine's name of "Evolution" came from? What's the label look like?

Brian On Wine said...

As I understand it, the name Evolution comes from the fact that the original wine was made from monkeys. Over the eons, the wine evolved to a wine made from grapes.*

The label is made of paper. A very bold choice. The label is an off-white color with a big red E, clearly a reference to Elvis. This nod to Elvis was in deference to his phenomenal contributions to the wine industry.**

* I am totally making this up. No monkeys have ever been used in the production of Evolution. Monkeys, as it turns out, do not make a very good wine.

**I am also totally making all of this up. I have no idea where the name came from. Nor is it likely that Elvis has anything to do with the wine. Nevertheless, the wine is quite delicious and should be consumed with great enthusiasm.