Wednesday, October 17, 2007

2006 Columbia Winery Cellarmaster's Riesling

The Winery: Columbia Winery
The Wine: Cellarmaster's Riesling
Price: $7.99

Normally I tend to drink white wines on hot summer days. Particularly Rieslings. The reason being that they are typically served chilled and they tend to be lighter, fruitier wines which I find to be more refreshing on a warm day. But tonight I was in the mood for a Riesling.

The Columbia Winery Cellarmaster's Riesling is a very nice wine. It has the light, sweet, fruity flavor that is typical of Rieslings. But it also has a velvety smooth quality to it, making it seem almost creamy. The flavor is almost like eating grapes straight off the vine. This is definitely one of the better Rieslings I've encountered.

I do have one gripe about this wine. Actually, it's about the packaging. This wine has one of those plastic/rubber stoppers instead of a true cork. I've encountered this type of cork plenty of times in the past. But in this particular instance, I had a tough time getting the "cork" off of my cork screw. I don't know if this cork used a different compound or what, but it really had a death-grip on the cork screw.



This wine is perfect for sitting on a porch swing on a hot August day with that special someone.

No comments: