Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sokol Blosser 2009 Willamette Valley Müller-Thurgau

The Winery:  Sokol Blosser
The Wine:  2009 Willamette Valley Müller-Thurgau
The Price:  $22 on their website

I would venture to guess that many of you have never heard of, let alone sampled, Müller-Thurgau (pronounced MYOO-ler TOOR-gow).  Having lived most of my life in Oregon, I am quite familiar with it.  Müller-Thurgau grapes are generally used in low-end German wines, such as Liebfraumilch.  But there are a handful of vineyards in Oregon that grow the grapes, and make a pretty good wine.  In the dozen years that I've lived in Seattle, I've never seen a bottle of Müller-Thurgau in a store, so it is apparently not widely exported. 

I was surprised when I saw Sokol Blosser was offering Müller-Thurgau, so I asked them about it.  They told me that they only make it in years that the grapes are extraordinarily good, which was the case in 2009.  They produced 300 cases of the Müller-Thurgau in 2009.

The wine bottle was sealed with a natural cork.  One thing that I appreciate about Sokol Blosser is that they don't put wrapper over the cork.  They just put a circular label on top of the cork itself.  It makes for easy opening and less waste.

The wine is a very pale straw color.  It has aromas of peach, pineapple and melon.

This is far and away the best Müller-Thurgau I have ever tasted!  It has flavors of peach, pear and a honey.  It is deliciously bright and refreshing.  It's sweet without being too sweet.  I highly recommend trying this one!  



 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sokol Blosser uses the Muller in their white varietal: Evolution. Evolution is so popular that there is often no Muller left over to sell as a separate wine after they make the Evolution. Both wines are excellent, and I'm always glad when I have the opportunity to have to choose between them. :)