Sunday, October 30, 2011

Columbia Crest 2009 Horse Heaven Hills Merlot

The Winery:  Columbia Crest
The Wine:  2009 Horse Heaven Hills Merlot
The Price:  $12.99 at Safeway

Those who regularly read my reviews may have noticed that I don't usually review Merlot.  That's because I'm really not much of a Merlot fan.  But this wine was recommended by a wine seller recently, so I thought I'd give it a try.

As the name indicates, the grapes for this Merlot were grown in Washington State's Horse Heaven Hills AVA.  The wine is a blend of 96% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Sauvignon and 1% Malbec.  The bottle was stopped with a natural cork and decanted an hour before tasting. 

The wine is very deep purple in color.  It has aromas of blackberry, plum and cherry.  This is an awesome Merlot!  It has a bold blackberry taste, blended with a cherry and chocolate finish.  The wine is very velvety and the flavors are rich, bold and smooth.  I highly recommend this one, even if (like me) you're not typically a fan of Merlot.

No comments: