Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Snoqualmie 2008 Whistle Stop Red

The Winery:  Snoqualmie
The Wine:  2008 Whistle Stop Red Cabernet Merlot
The Price:  $7.99 at Safeway

Snoqualmie, founded in 1984, is a Washington winery located in Prosser, near the base of Horse Heaven Hills.  They source their grapes from the Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley and Horse Heaven Hills AVAs.  

This wine is a blend of 70% Cabernet and 30% Merlot.  The bottle was sealed with a natural cork and the wine was decanted an hour before tasting.  The is very deep red in color and has aromas of cherry, blackberry and chocolate.

The wine has flavors of black cherry and chocolate, and is heavy with tannins.  It's a very smooth wine with a nicely balanced flavor.  It's an unexpectedly enjoyable wine for the price.  It's definitely one that I'll be stocking up on. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is good to know. I am careful of which wines I drink due to allergies (yeah I know allergies in wine) and I can drink this brand. I am still careful about trying new ones - no one likes a bad bottle of wine.