Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mark West 2008 Pinot Noir

The Winery:  Mark West
The Wine:  2008 Pinot Noir
The Price:  $8.99 at Safeway

When I saw this ridiculously inexpensive California Pinot Noir at the store, I just knew I had to review it!  I just couldn't resist. 

Mark West is located in Sonoma County.  The only wine they make is Pinot Noir, which I think is a kind of cool approach - specializing in just one wine.  They age their wine for 8 months in French and Hungarian oak barrels before bottling.

Their website kind of sucks.  It uses unconventional navigation and most of the content is all on the home page.  It looks like it was designed by a graphic artist with no thought given to usability.  But enough about their website.  This is, after all, a wine review, not a website review.

The wine bottle was stopped with a natural cork, a nice touch on such a low-priced wine.  It was decanted an hour before tasting.

The wine is medium-dark red in color with a splash of brown.  It has aromas of strawberry, vanilla and cherry.

It has berry and cherry flavors, with a touch of pepper.  It's really a decent Pinot Noir, especially at this price point.  It isn't a velvety smooth Pinot, but it also isn't a watery, thin wine like I expect from a lower end Pinot.  I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how good this wine is.  I think I'll be stocking up on this one.   

No comments: