Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cline 2009 Mourvèdre Rosé

The Winery:  Cline
The Wine:  2009 Mourvèdre Rosé
The Price:  $11 at PCC. 

Since warmer summer weather is here, I thought it would be a good time to review a rosé.  This wine jumped out at me because I don't recall ever seeing a rosé made from mourvèdre before.  Being a fan of mourvèdre, I was compelled to give this a try.

Cline is a California winery, with the grapes being grown in Contra Costa county.  The winery was founded in 1982 by Fred Cline.  They specialize in crafting Rhône-style wines, and have made several 90+ point wines.


Although it doesn't appear so in the photo of the bottle, this wine is a bit darker than other rosés I've sampled.  It has almost a brownish cast to the color.

The wine has aromas of strawberry, plum and aged Scotch.

It's a very smooth and fruity wine with flavors of strawberry, cherry, plum and cranberry.  I was concerned that the Scotch aroma meant that the wine would have strong alcohol flavor, but it doesn't.  This is a very good rosé, one of the best I've ever tasted!  It's a very refreshing wine; perfect for enjoying on a warm summer evening.

No comments: