Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Perrin & Fils 2007 Côtes du Rhône Villages

The Winery: Perrin & Fils
The Wine: 2007 Côtes du Rhône Villages
The Price: $9.69 at Costco

It has been awhile since I reviewed a French wine, so when I saw this one at Costco I knew I had to review it.  I've never heard of Villages being appended to Côtes du Rhône before, so I had to investigate a bit.  It turns out that Villages indicates two things - first that the wine is a bit more special than regular Côtes du Rhône (only 20% of the Côtes du Rhône vineyards are permitted to use the Villages label).  And second, that the wine is from a southern Rhône appellation. 

This wine is a blend of 50% Grenache and 50% Syrah.  The bottle was stopped with a natural cork, and decanted 1 1/2 hours before tasting.

The wine is a very deep ruby color.  It has aromas of blackberries, cassis, and eucalyptus.

This is a pretty fruity and sweet wine with a predominant cherry flavor and underlying flavors of blackberry and black currant.  The wine is fairly heavy in tannins.

This wine is different than wines I would normally seek out, but I do like it.  It's very fruit-forward and very drinkable.  It's sweeter than I am used to encountering in a red wine, but it is intriguingly good and interesting.  

No comments: