Monday, May 24, 2010

Rex Hill 2007 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

The Winery: Rex Hill
The Wine: 2007 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
The Price:  $25 at Jack Cellars

This past weekend I went to Pinot Palooza at Jack Cellars.  They were pouring a great selection of Pinot Noir from Oregon, California and even a nice wine from Burgundy.  This review is a result of the event.

I am originally from Oregon, so Oregon Pinots have a special place in my heart.  The roots of my love for wine are firmly planted in Oregon.  I spent many weekends driving through wine country sampling wines.  Some wineries have consistently produced great wines.  Other wineries have folded or just stopped producing great wine.  When I was new to drinking wine, Rex Hill was always a favorite stop on my tours through Oregon's wine country.  My last few trips to Rex Hill had been enough of a disappointment that I'd given up on them.

It turns out that Rex Hill had changed hands a couple of times over the years.  The new owners didn't have the passion and skill to make the great wines that Oregon is known for.  The good news is that back in 2007, A to Z Wineworks purchased Rex Hill and is working on bringing them back to their former glory.

The 2007 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir is medium dark red in color.  The wine was stopped with a natural cork and decanted an hour before tasting.

The wine has aromas of cherries and plums.  It has a strong cherry base with an undertone of berries and plums.  This is a lighter Pinot Noir, but is very good.  At $25 it is an absolute steal!

I'm happy to see Rex Hill again in good hands and making good wine!  I look forward to seeing where they go from here!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy Pinot Noir but doubt I've had a great one. I see Rex Hill in the stores so will have to pick it up next time.