Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Primaterra 2008 Sangiovese

The Winery: Primaterra
The Wine: 2008 Sangiovese
The Price: $7.99 at Cost Plus World Market

I selected this wine because I've been planning a trip to Italy, so I'm trying to become more familiar with wines from Italy.  This winery seems to be pretty much a big mystery. I haven't been able to find any history on the winery.

The wine is made from 100% Sangiovese grapes.  The bottle was stopped with a composite cork, and decanted an hour before tasting.  

 The wine is a medium-dark purple in color.  It has predominantly a cherry aroma with a slight pepper finish. 

The wine has a somewhat subdued cherry flavor, with a mildly spicy finish.  The wine is very heavy in tannins, leading me to want to scrape the powdery feel off of my teeth. 

This is a decent wine for the money, but it certainly doesn't knock my socks off.  It's an every-day kind of wine.  Definitely not something you'd serve to impress anybody. 

No comments: