Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Col Solare 2006 Red Wine



The Winery:  Col Solare
The Wine:  2006 Red Wine
The Price:  This wine was provided by the winery.  The wine retails for $75 and can be purchased directly through the winery.

Col Solare is an interesting winery.  It is a partnership between Chateau Ste Michelle, a Washington State winery; and Marchesi Antinori, a Tuscany winery.  The partnership was formed with the intent of producing ultra-luxury wine. 

The 2006 Red Wine is a blend of 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 19% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petit Verdot and 2% Syrah. 

As I would expect from a premium wine, the bottle was stopped with a natural cork.  I don't normally comment on the cork itself, but the cork in this bottle was exceptionally clear and seemed to be of higher quality than the corks I've encounter with other wines.  The wine was decanted an hour before tasting. 

The wine has a very, very deep burgundy color, taking on the color of a good Cabernet Sauvignon.  

The wine has very bright black cherry and blackberry aromas with a hint of vanilla.  The aromas are very well balanced and well pronounced. 

The wine is absolutely phenomenal! It has a very smooth and velvety feeling to it.  The wine has bold flavors of blackberries and black cherries with a chocolaty finish.  It is absolutely the best wine I've ever reviewed!  At this price point, it's clearly not an everyday wine.  But if you're looking for a great wine for the holidays or a special occasion, you can't go wrong with this one.  I very highly recommend it.

1 comment:

SeattleMaven said...

Multiple exclamation marks in the review is something I've not seen before (or at least can't recall). You had me at the 'very, very deep burgundy' color. I remember that same trait in my favorite-ever bottle. I'll take your advice & have this be the first bottle I purchase after winning the lotto.