Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Campo Viejo 2005 Crianza Rioja


The Winery: Campo Viejo
The Wine:  2005 Crianza Rioja
The Price:  $9.99 at QFC

I've discussed Spanish wines previously when I reviewed the Campo Viejo 2001 Gran Reserva Rioja.  So I won't rehash what I said before, other than to state that Crianzas are younger wines.  This wine is aged in oak for 12 months before being bottled.

The bottle for this wine was stopped with a natural cork and decanted an hour and a quarter before tasting.

The wine is very dark purple, with very light penetrating through the wine in the glass.   It has aromas of blackberry, plum and vanilla.

It's a fairly flat wine, without a lot of flavor.  It's not bad, it just doesn't pack enough of a flavor punch.  It has plum and blackberry flavors with a very slight pepper finish.  I really wish there was more flavor to the wine.  I like the flavors that are there, I just want more of them.

I doubt I'll buy this wine again.  There are plenty of $10 wines that have more flavor than this.  If you're a fan of mildly flavored wines, this could be something you'd like.   

2 comments:

The Wine Whore said...

I find that a lot of the $10 wines out there don't have enough of the flavors that I am looking for. When I first starting drinking wine, I didn't notice it as much. Do you think that my tasting experience has made me crave this elevated level of flavor or am I just finding wines that aren't as good?

Brian On Wine said...

Try the 2007 Don Ramon (I reviewed it in August). For $6.99 it was a far better wine than this Campo Viejo.