Tuesday, February 5, 2008

August Cellars 2004 Pinot Noir

The Winery: August Cellars
The Wine: 2004 Pinot Noir
The Price: $18 at their tasting room and online.

This is a newer vintage of the wine I reviewed last week (which was the 2003 Pinot Noir). Like last week's wine, this was one of the wines I purchased during my recent trip through the Willamette Valley.

The 2004 Pinot Noir is less deeply colored than the 2003. The 2003 had quite a bit of sediment in the bottle, which is not present in the 2004. The 2004 Pinot Noir has a smoky smell to it. It also has a strong smoky flavor, which I have never encountered in a Pinot Noir before. The smoke flavor is followed by a currant and red cherry. This is good wine, but I would tire of the smoke flavor pretty quickly. It's something I would enjoy one or twice a year, but not much more than that. It would probably go well with smoked salmon, and may also serve to dress up a BBQ hamburger meal.

No comments: